Friday, July 17, 2009

Drinking From a Fire Hydrant

One of the first things they told us when we arrived at camp was, "You're going to feel like you are trying to take a drink from a fire hydrant, but that's okay."
Yeah, it's not just okay it's great! But as you can imagine uncomfortable at the same time. So why does it feel this way? We had at least four hours of teaching a day for the first week. (Yeah, it was intense.) But it wasn't just teaching. It was teaching that is constantly prodding you to re-evaluate the way you think. To think about why you do what you do. The result was you learned more about yourself then you thought was possible. No it wasn't warm and fuzzy things either. The speakers that week presented the Bible to us in ways that you'd never thought of before. And a lot of these kids had been in church from birth, yet it felt like most of what you were hearing was entirely new.
To me the entire experience felt beyond my control. To me it felt like this;

I'm out on a surf board quite a ways from shore just laying there enjoying some rays, when I look up and see this GINORMOUS wall of water, a wave unlike I've ever seen. I cling to my board for dear life, but before I can open my mouth to scream the wave has already picked me up and carried me half-way to shore.

I was like God saying, "Brittany, I'm taking you to shore, whether you like it or not."
And it was AWESOME!